Tuesday 31 January 2012

You spend ages looking for a craft group, and then 2 come along at once!

I love crafting. I like messing around with things and coming up with something I've created. In general though, I'm not a very patient person and I give up fairly easily if I can't do something. So, crafting is definitely not something I can do alone. I need to be around other people, to help me with the 'oh no, what's happened now?' moments. I've been wanting to join some kind of craft club for years, but didn't have the time, didn't get home from work early enough, or just couldn't find a group that wasn't all about knitting tea cosies and loo roll covers!

So, when I found out that there was a new, funky branch of the WI forming, just down the road in Bedford, I was very excited. I went along the week before last to the 'knitted bunting' class and loved it. I couldn't go last week, because of a 'Lakeview Events Committee' meeting (more on that later) but I got talking about it with the vicar's wife (amazing how much time a atheist like me has been spending with the vicar and his wife lately) and we decided to start our own local group. We've called it 'Crafternoons' (Bev's choice) and yesterday was the first group. Unfortunately, only Evie and I turned up, but I've made a Facebook page and we are starting to spread the word and hopefully people will start to join in. Anyway, we had a nice time just the 3 of us, with Tim (the vicar, who Evie loves!) popping in an out to entertain Evie. Bev showed me a new craft I hadn't heard of - Iris Folding. Here's my first attempt:



Ok, it's not to my taste particularly, but it was an easy, relaxing craft that doesn't take too much concentration, so could definitely done in front of the tv, or whilst having a natter. I'll give it another go at some point with some Cath Kidston style papers I think.

I can't go to this weeks WI meeting either, because Joe's away overnight, and I'm gutted. I'm desperate to get back there and get on with the crafting! This is typical 'me' behaviour. I find something new to do, get over excited and go at it all guns blazing for a while, and then quickly get bored and loose interest. It's why I've left a trail of blogs with only a handful of entries! I'm really hoping that at this point in my life, I'm going to stick at some of these things. Only time will tell I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment