Monday 25 February 2013

Nigella's Lemon Meringue Cake

I've been having some kind of craving for Lemon Meringue pie, ever since reading this post. So when I saw a crate load of lovely big juicy lemons for sale at Fancy, I had to snap some up.

Lemon Meringue Pie was one of the things I used to make as a child, although I would use one of those packet mixes, with the separate little bags containing the mix for each layer. I haven't made a proper one, from scratch. So, I did a bit of googling, to find the perfect recipe.

That's when I came across Nigella's Lemon Meringue Cake. Oh my goodness! Sponge, lemon, meringue, what's not to like? Plus, I don't have to make pastry. I've never been any good at making pastry, and for me, it's the most boring part of a lemon meringue anyway.




This is Nigella's picture - I forgot to take a photo of mine before we tucked in, but mine was much messier!

I am not sure how I've missed this recipe until now. I have all of Nigella's books and read them like novels. I don't think I've ever tried a recipe of hers which has failed, and our Christmas food comes almost entirely from Nigella Christmas. So, time to put that right.

This was a lovely recipe. Easy to follow, as always. My lemon curd ended up a bit too runny I think, but I can't blame Nigella. I'm a slapdash measurer at best, and sometimes these things matter. The result for a messy cook like me, was a slightly messy cake, but in a good way I think. But oh my goodness, it tasted amazing! We had friends over for Sunday lunch and I presented this for dessert. On a cake stand, with a glass lid, because a cake like this deserves all the presentation you can muster. In fact, I wish I'd have got the mini sparklers out!




Here's mine, mostly eaten.   Mmmmm … it was yummy!

Give it a try. The recipe is here. It would be perfect for Mothers Day, or Easter. Just don't make it intending to transport it anywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment