Monday 17 February 2014

Annabel Karmel's Gluten Free Brownies



I made these extremely yummy gluten free brownies today, and thought I'd share the recipe with you. Just in case you came here for the gluten free stuff!

I've got to carry on eating gluten as normal at the moment, until I've had the biopsy that will hopefully confirm Coeliac disease.  I say hopefully, because although cutting gluten out of my diet completely, for the rest of my life, sounds like an almighty pain in the bum, the thought of all those health niggles going away once an for all, because they were caused by my body's inappropriate response to gluten, will be well worth it.  

I got news this week that what I thought was my biopsy appointment on 12th March, has not only been postponed for the second time, to 27th March, but it's not even for the biopsy.  It's just to see the consultant, so that she can book me in for a biopsy, which I'll have to wait who knows how long for.  

To say that I was annoyed would be an understatement.  It's so frustrating, to think you know what's making you ill, but to have to continue eating it. I called the hospital and had a few choice words with the bookings secretary, who assures me she'll try and do something about it. But I'm not holding my breath!

In the meantime, I thought I'd have a little practice run.  A quick google search bought up this recipe on Annabel Karmel's website. As usual, I changed it about a bit. I can never follow the rules!

I left out the white chocolate chunks and instead added mini marshmallows and pecan nuts.  I also used 100g muscavado and 75g golden caster sugar, just because I wanted to lighten them up just a bit. 

The brownies turned out beautifully. The marshmallows melt slightly to make little pockets of sticky gooeyness and the pecans add a bit of texture and crunch. Yum yum. You would never know these were gluten free at all. If I need to keep myself in good supply of these, ready for cakey moments, it really won't be a hardship at all. 

Give them a go, you'll love them. You can find the recipe here

1 comment: