Saturday, 8 March 2014

The Dress. Revisited.

A couple of weeks ago, I had this sewing disaster. I had the urge to sew something for Lola. She doesn't get much sewn for her, as she gets so much passed down, that she really doesn't need anything.

After cutting the back piece upside down (I'm still annoyed at myself) I tried all kinds of things to see if I could 'fix' it. Could I put in a contrasting piece? Could I alter the design? In the end, I decided I would never put her in the dress if I'd cobbled it together, because it would annoy me too much. So, I searched and searched for more fabric. I ended up having to buy a metre, despite only needing a small piece. The upside is that I have enough left over to make a matching dress for Evie, which she is now begging me to do!

So here it is, the finished article. This side is made with my recycled pyjamas.

And this is the side that caused all the trouble. But it was worth it. I love the fabric, and the dress is both cute and practical. Warm, because I padded it with fusible fleece, reversible for when there's a spillage, and really easy to get on and off, because of the poppers. (You can't see the poppers in the picture, but the shoulder pieces fold over and snap together).

The blue fabric is 'Windy Day'. Part of the 'Backyard Baby' range by Riley Blake. I love the ric rac peeking out at the bottom. I think the flowers fabric could do with a bit of embellishment, maybe a patch pocket or two, but too late now. Maybe I'll add that for Evie's version.

It fits Evie as a top, so there will be years worth of wear to come out of it. And when Lola finally grows out of this one, there will be an Evie sized version waiting for her. It's a good job it's a pretty fabric. Lola's going to be wearing it for at least the next 5 years!!